Have you been treating your garbage disposal like a waste basket? If you have, you could be putting yourself at risk of calling for professional drain cleaning services in the near future. Though garbage disposals can be a convenient and safe option to get rid of soft foods, there are certain items you should refrain from putting down your disposal. Be sure to always keep these five foods away from your garbage disposal.
- Coffee grounds: When coffee grounds get wet, they tend to clump together and form a solid mass. This can cause a stubborn clog to form around the gears of your garbage disposal.
- Pasta: If you’ve ever made spaghetti or macaroni and cheese, you probably already know that pasta expands when it gets wet. Though a small amount of pasta can survive your garbage disposal, large batches of pasta can expand to the point where it clogs your drain.
- Bones and pits: Your garbage disposal wasn’t designed to grind up hard foods like chicken bones, ribs, peach pits, or avocado seeds. Avoid putting this type of waste in your garbage disposal to extend the life of your system.
- Fibrous produce: Fibrous produce (like celery, rhubarb, and raw pumpkin) can wrap around the gears of your garbage disposal, causing it to malfunction. Always place these types of produce into your garbage or compost heap.
- Any type of shell: Like hard bones, your garbage disposal wasn’t designed to break down seafood shells. Placing these down your disposal can leave you calling for drain cleaning.
If you’re experiencing complications with your garbage disposal or your plumbing system, give the team at Express Drains a call. We provide 24-hour emergency services because we understand that a significant clog can occur at any time of day or night. To schedule your appointment for service, reach out to our team today!